Committee: Speed Abatement Committee
Committee Chair: Vacant
Committee Mission Statement: To have a neighborhood safe from excessive speed within West Market and educate the public on the increase in number of children, excessive speed and heightened awareness of the children in West Market.
List of Priorities and Deliverables for FY 2012
1. Increase awareness and safety for children, and adults in the West Market community.
2. Research and evaluate a safe speed limit for the entire West Market neighborhood.
3. Post Speed Limits in the entire West Market neighborhood.
4. Post signs like “SLOW Watch for Children Playing, SLOW”
5. Look at all avenues for safety among speed of vehicles and children and adults in the West Market community.
Timetable for deliverables/events: All within 2012
Budget: To Be Determined
General: All committee actions are subject to Board approval pursuant to Article X of the Association Bylaws. Committees are also bound by the open meeting provisions of the Virginia Property Owners’ Association Act, which requires that:
1. All committee meetings shall be preceded by reasonable notice to the community. The Board requires that its committees provide notice on the West Market Web site: at least one week is preferred absent extenuating circumstances (more if the committee is able to do so), and in all events no less than three days in advance of such meetings. Notice should be provided to our on-site manager who will ensure it is properly posted.
2. All committee meetings shall be open to all members of the West Market Community Association, and each meeting shall have a designated period of time available for members to comment on matters germane to the committee meeting.
3. Any agenda materials made available to committee members in advance of meetings should also be available for inspection by members of our community (at the same time they are provided to committee members) by providing copies to our on-site manager (in addition to making them available at the meeting).
Committees, per the language of the Act quoted here, may “not use work sessions or other informal gatherings … to circumvent the open meeting requirements.”